Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Knowing what you want

When I tell people that I am a career counselor, I often hear responses like, "I'm not looking for a job right now."  As a career development professional, I know that there is so much more to a career than just looking for a job, although a results oriented job search is very demanding.  I like calling myself a LifeWork Coach because the name gives people a better sense of what I do. 

In the last couple of weeks I've found my life and family having a major impact on my work.  I am my own boss, so I am usually good to myself although I can be quite demanding, but I have been thinking about people who have jobs with little flexibility.  When unexpected events happen in life, a person's work and lifestyle can be greatly affected.

My mother went to the hospital for a routine back surgery a couple of weeks ago.  Although it was considered major surgery, the operation went well.  On the other hand the patient didn't respond well to all of the medications, anesthesia, and stress of surgery.  Major surgery is harder on people as they get older, but hospitalization and surgery can be stressful for many of us.  In fact, if a person is well and able to take care of themselves, hospitalization can still be stressful.  If you don't feel well, you definitely need family (or a close friend) to help take care of you.

I have heard many times that when a family member goes to the hospital, they need someone there or nearby to help.  It was more true than I realized.  Modern science and medicine have come so far that we are curing cancers, heart disease, and so many diseases that were considered terminal.  With all of the "miracles" of modern medicine, the patient is often forgotten.  There is a real person behind the patient, and family/friends need to make sure the person is taken care of.  But how?  

Most of us are so busy that we have a hard time keeping up with ourselves, our work, and our immediate families.  What happens when we are needed full time or part time to help a family member?  For people who have little flexibility at work the result can be disastrous for the job or the family member.  What can we do?

Planning and preparing for unexpected events will help when a crisis comes up.  The goal of "LifeWork Design" is to know who you are and what you want so that you will be prepared. Knowing what your values are, and evaluating how you want to spend your time and your money are the subject of this month's "LifeWork Planning Guides."  The subject was so important to me in deciding what I would make the time for, and what I could either not do or put off until later.  I decided the math class that I had just signed up for could wait.  I could afford to let my work get behind a little bit, because I knew it could wait, and I could catch up.  It wasn't what I wanted to do at the time, but I knew what was most important to me.  I was ready to make decisions based on my values. 

Taking care of family is a high value for me.  Sometimes there is a high cost to having close relationships, but the cost of neglecting relationships is even higher.  I am thankful that with the help of the family, my mother is doing much better.  I am back to work full time and enjoying every minute of it!

Whether you are an entrepreneur or an employee, finding balance in your life and work can be challenging.   What challenges are you facing in your career?

No comments: