Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Home for the holidays


Our thoughts turn to home and family during the holiday season. For many people thoughts of home bring warm memories of childhood dreams and fantasies. When I think of Christmas, my thoughts turn to fond memories of stringing popcorn and making cookies for tree decorations. I made popcorn and cookie decorations with my children, and I also remember stringing popcorn with my sister when I was young. My grandmother considered the singing of spiritual songs serious business, so my sister and I tried not to laugh while we sang. When my children got older, we would hang an assortment of decorations and throw tinsel at the tree and at each other while we laughed, sang, and drank sparkling cider. Holiday traditions stay with us even at times through generations. Whether we have fun happy memories or feelings of tension and distress, we often expect the same experience each year. But times change, seasons change, and thoughts of home and holidays can change also.

In the past, home for the holidays often brought the expectation of sitting around the fire in a home of your own with your extended family. This in itself can bring with it feelings of tension and anxiety as families grow and expand. Your house or mine? Where shall we go for Christmas? Or, worse yet, you might try to resolve the conflict by house hopping from one parent or grandparent’s house to another. Our American past is filled with so many stories about trying to be everywhere at the same time, and trying to fit too much fun into each moment. I remember one year inviting each side of the family over, one after the other, and fixing two different dinners on the same day. Whew! The expectation of so much fun and family can cause stress to children and adults alike.

Some people will always feel sad during the holidays. Whether for lack of gifts, family or warmth, the holidays can be a time of sadness for people who have great expectations for the season. I can’t think of any time of the year that carries such high expectations as the Christmas season (which has extended to cover at least three months). For some people early lights, shopping and decorating are ways to spread the joy. For others, shopping and advertising means more disappointment.

Now fast forward to the 21st century with soaring housing prices in many areas, long commutes to work, ambiguous work hours and conditions. You may be left wondering, “Where is home for the holidays?” Television and advertisers are still touting the big Christmas tree in the big house with a big family in red sweaters receiving big gifts. The commercial that caught my attention was the one where the long stockings were pulled out of the gift box. The stockings brought back memories of sneaking under the tree with my brother and sister to open an exciting gift before Christmas morning. To my disappointment, I had opened the gift from my grandmother. Socks! Not the best pick for an early surprise.

Maybe I’m just getting older, but now I think that warm fuzzy socks are a great Christmas gift. Celebrating the love of God, family where ever they are, the warmth of socks and a hot cup of tea are a great way to spend the holidays. How will you connect with your home, friends, and family for the holidays? This may be the year that your family is spread out or you are working or traveling. It may be a time when you can share family and holiday stories with someone else, or just sit down to a hot cup of tea and be thankful for what you have. Knowing your values and knowing what is really important to you will help make this a wonderful holiday season.

Copyright LWD © 2005 Nancy Miller

No comments: