Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dream Job

Have you ever thought about your "Dream Job?" The job you would really like to do. When I first heard this assignment in one of my graduate courses in the counseling program at CSUS, I didn't really see the point. I wasn't sure if it was possible to have my dream job, so why would I want to write about it. I did the assignment anyway and wrote about having my own office, having time for self-expression, and helping to inspire others.

Since then in workshops and classes, I've given the assignment to "Write a job description for your dream job." The job description makes the dream job more real and concrete. In my own job description I was:
  • my own boss
  • gave presentations
  • facilitated workshops
  • provided coaching and counseling
  • had flexible hours
  • traveled occasionally
Now I am doing all of those things. Writing down my job description helped make my dream job happen. I made my priority health and happiness over high profits, and I am happy with that decision as I continue to grow my business.

Career expert and author Kathy Hansen, PhD writes about the "Storytelling Resume" and the idea of writing a "Job Wanted" description. I think the "Job Wanted" description would be the next step after writing your dream job and job description. These three steps would help prepare you for writing a "Storytelling Resume.":
  1. Describing your "Dream Job"
  2. Writing your own "Job Description"
  3. Developing a "Job Wanted" ad
Cultures around the world use storytelling and understand that painting a vivid picture leaves an imprint on a person's mind that will stay with them. When you apply or interview for a job, you want to make an impression that the interviewer will remember. Storytelling paints that picture. For more on storytelling, follow Kathy Hansen's blog (see side panel) or follow her on Twitter for career insights. Knowing how to tell a powerful story in a short period of time in writing or verbally is the key to making a lasting impression.






This website is intended for informational purposes only. For professional personal/ career coaching, call or email Nancy for assistance with consulting, resources, and information to meet your personal needs. See links on the side panel for professional organizations.

Copyright LWD © 2005 Nancy Miller

No comments: