Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Freedom Walking

Walking frees the body and mind. Moving the muscles frees them to do what they were meant to do. Our muscles are stressed by lack of use. In fact, if they are not used often they are stressed to the point of injury at times when they are suddenly used for high impact activity. Our mental muscles are no different from any other muscles. They are stressed by sudden changes and overuse such as watching television and then driving in traffic. But strengthening your physical and mental muscles creates a resilient body and mind. A resilient mind is:
  • creative
  • fluid
  • intuitive
When your brain gets regular healthy exercise it is more prepared for the sudden changes in life. Healthy non competitive exercise increases blood flow and circulation to your brain that improves your ability to think creatively.

Choosing to walk whenever possible frees the air of pollution while freeing your muscles to grow and develop. Endorphins are generated by increased brain activity that frees the brain to create and adapt. How can you find time to walk you might ask. You can choose to make opportunities when things are not going the way you would like them to. For example, yesterday I missed the bus coming home from the dentist's office. I knew the next one wouldn't be coming for another hour. I assumed it was only about 3 or 4 miles home, and I could walk that in the time it would take to wait. I had already taken my two and a half mile morning walk, so I was in the habit of walking. A few months earlier I would have thought of the walk as a daunting task, and I would have stopped for coffee rather than walk. But knowing the freedom of walking rather than driving or taking the bus, I was off. An hour's walk is actually very pleasant if the weather isn't extreme. I was glad I chose freedom walking.

You can easily find opportunities to walk or ride a bicycle when your car doesn't start, you forget your lunch, you need to run an errand, or you find an event to walk or run for a cause. Children and dogs are great motivators. With increased obesity and diabetes in children and even pets, you can prevent so many health problems by getting out for a walk. Dinner time? Have a salad, smoothie, or veggie burrito instead of a big meal. You will free up plenty of time for walking. My daughter and I walk our dogs and motivate each other to get up early in the morning and take longer walks than we ever would alone. I would never get up that early consistently to walk by myself. You can easily motivate someone else to walk or ride a bike. Find a partner and enjoy freedom walking!


This website is intended for informational purposes only. For professional personal/ career coaching, call or email Nancy for assistance with consulting, resources, and information to meet your personal needs. See links on the side panel for professional organizations.

Copyright LWD © 2005 Nancy Miller

No comments: