Monday, March 02, 2009

Looking for Band Aids

During difficult times people are often looking for a Band Aid rather than a vitamin. As a personal/career coach I am in the vitamin business, but right now people seem to be looking for Band Aids rather than vitamins to improve their business or employability. As a culture and a people we have over spent and over indulged. Almost everyone who could did to some degree or another. Now we want quick easy fixes for a big problem.

There may not be quick solutions, but there are things we can do. For one thing, take your vitamins. You can plan, prioritize your values, strengthen your relationships, and tighten your belt. This is a great time to find where the needs are, build up your business skills, and be grateful for what you have. I am very grateful for the material comforts that I am blessed with. As a family, we are doing better financially and relationally than we ever have. When friends were buying bigger houses, we began thinking about downsizing. We sold our house, paid all of our debts, and bought a car and investment house with cash. Friends thought we were crazy for selling our house and buying a house out of state. We thought we were crazy for renting an apartment close to work, walking, taking the bus, and paying cash.

I loved living close to town, walking, and feeling like I was in the heart of all that Sacramento has to offer—the good, bad and the ugly. I felt the discomfort and inconvenience of renting an apartment that flooded, leaked, and smelled musty. I gained empathy for people who were less fortunate than I was. After four years of renting, we had the opportunity to buy a house on a short sale. We weren’t just smart or just lucky, but we were able to tighten our belts for a time, and then find ourselves in a position to benefit from the change in the economy. In my experience, when I lost hope in the future, I spent more on immediate pleasures. For some too much optimism without a reality check led to over indulgence.

I love spending time with family, friends, and colleagues. I look for ways to use my counseling, coaching, and entrepreneurial skills to work in the community. I enjoy sharing what I have learned from my own insights, experiences others have shared with me, and trends in careers and entrepreneurship. Send questions, comments, and experiences as we share this journey together.

No comments: