Monday, March 09, 2009

What did you hear today?

Today I enjoyed a beautiful sunny morning in the community garden. A small group of us gathered around a block of dirt surrounded by walkways and imagined how the garden might look and what we wanted to grow. We took a few minutes to breath the air and notice the sounds around us. The sound of birds stood out in my mind. Someone else heard traffic. I seem to be very tuned in to the sound of birds.

My husband and I take long walks through the greenbelt that runs through part of Elk Grove. As we walk past the trees and small lake, my husband points out birds in the water, in the trees, and along the brush. He knows the birds by the sound of their voices. I have become very aware of the sound of birds. I don't know their names, but I listen to their different calls. I no longer remember the sounds of traffic. Because I pay attention to birds, that is what I remember at the end of the day.

Much of our lives are driven by what we choose to hear and pay attention to. What sounds do you remember at the end of the day? Did your day end with the sights and sounds you wanted to think about and dream about? You can choose what to focus on and remember, and your memories become a part of you.

This website is intended for informational purposes only. For professional personal/ career coaching, call or email Nancy for assistance with consulting, resources, and information to meet your personal needs.

Copyright CLWD © 2005 Nancy Miller

No comments: